I am seriously thinking and praying about 2019.
What about you?
Well, you know, after reading John Piper’s 10 resolutions from Desiring God daily blog on December 27, 2018, I have been motivated to come up with my own 10 resolutions before I welcome 2019.
So, here are my ten resolutions, borrowing two from John Piper’s (#3 & 5):
1. I shall let a thought to linger in my mind ONLY if it builds and edifies my spirit, – “as he thinketh in his heart, so is he” (Proverbs 23:7 KJV, 2 Corinthians 10:5)
2. I shall not let my soul speak to me, for it only interprets this life through physical senses, feeling, touching, smelling, hearing and seeing, not by believing the word of God. So, I shall say, “shut up” to my soul and only let my spirit speak to my soul. “Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.” (Psalm 43:5)
3. “I shall not be fool enough to suppose that trouble and pain are wholly evil parentheses in my existence, but just as likely ladders to be climbed toward moral and spiritual manhood.” – “Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.” (James 1:2-4)
4. At least once a day, I shall remind myself that I am a created being, created by the will of my Creator who knows me by my name. I am not a forgotten creature living in a forgotten planet. “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; ” (Jeremiah 1:5a)
5. “I shall stop boring into myself to discover what psychological or social categories I might belong to. Mostly I shall simply forget about myself and do my work.” – “For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” (Ephesians 2:10)
6. I shall not fool myself into thinking that I am of ‘something valuable’ apart from the word of God. “I say to the LORD, “You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing.”” (Psalm 16:2)
7. I shall remind myself at least two times a day if what I say (in words or writing), or do brings glory to God. “So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.” (1 Corinthians 10:31)
8. I shall remind myself that every ‘day’ is a present from God for me to rejoice and be glad in it (Psalm 118:24). I shall not waste this precious ‘gift’ by regretting about yesterday’s mistakes or bragging about yesterday’s achievements or wearing myself out about tomorrow – the day I know nothing about. “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” (Matthew 6:34)
9. I shall always remind myself that this is always the order of my earthly life priorities: My husband’s need comes first, then my kids,’ then my ministry (what I do for the kingdom of God). “But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.” (1 Timothy 5:8 NASB)
10. I shall strive to love, accept and care for myself. Otherwise I can’t be of any use for God nor others. “Love others as much as you love yourself.” And, I can only love myself if I first love God. (Matthew 22:37-39)
May God help me to strive hard to follow all these 10 resolutions faithfully and joyfully this year for the glory of God!
Will you join me? Thanks!
Happy New Year to you and your whole household! ///